Thursday

Back to the Bates.


Somewhere between Bridgewater and Cavendish, Vermont on a road in the middle of nowhere is an old farm house that knows how to put on a wedding - The Bates Mansion at Brook Farm.  I had been there before in early July of last year for the nuptials of Katie & Kirk.  What a cool place.  All types of nooks and crannies packed with unique pieces, like the over-sized bust of Julius Caesar or the full suit of armor...just wild!  I have been back one other time in the middle of winter to shoot the cover for Vermont Vows, a regional wedding publication produced by some great ladies from Burlington, Vermont but what I have really been hoping was for the opportunity to shoot another wedding.  This past August 11th I got my chance.  Cary and Will Gryc, all the way from Atlanta, Georgia gathered friends and family for a great time at the Bates.  I arrived extra early on Saturday morning.  I wanted the chance to show my newest assistant, Kori, around the grounds, gardens, and the mansion.  With the extra time I had, it allowed me the chance to shoot some of the details that I think make-up a good wedding shoot.




After all the hair and make-up was complete and the dress and shoes on, it was time to shoot some portraits.  



Cary, the bride, really wanted some classic and elegant portraits from around the mansion.  In true Bride fashion, Cary looked incredible. My job was easy.



Next up was the ceremony, which at the Bates is held in a garden full of great flowers.  On the way back down the aisle, the group of 60 or so stopped for a photo-op.



Korinne Batschelet photo




After quickly bustling the gown, everyone gathered on the front lawn for cocktails and conversation.


The evening flowed right into dinner, speeches and dancing, and before we knew it, Kori and I were packing up and heading home.




No comments: